Things that Make Your Console RPG Amazing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Limbo
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer

Male Number of posts : 121
Roleplay Name : Limbo

PostSubject: Things that Make Your Console RPG Amazing   Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:51 pm

So I'm a tabletop fan- yeah, you heard that right, I like rolling the dice and slaying the dragons. Anyways, I'm working on creating a fantastic world for a Tabletop RPG run through the Super Console tabletop system, but while I have creative ideas and worlds bouncing around in my head, I've also got a lot of questions as well.

Basically, I'm wondering what it is other people (besides myself,) remember or like about their favorite Console RPG- were it the amazing scenes and worlds unfolding before them? Was it the memorable characters, with their silly quirks or attitudes? Was it how silly or how epic the plot was or the way the world varied and the different kinds of technology each world had? Was it the musical score that still runs in our head today?

In short- I just want to get some info from you all about one simple question:

"What was it you liked about your favorite Console RPG that made it amazing and something to remember for you?"

I'm not limiting this to old-school JRPG styled games, but those are what the system for the tabletop is based off of- not to mention, I personally like my Super Nintendo RPGs than most of the stuff out today.

This isn't a thread to discuss the differences between old RPGs or the newer RPGs and "what makes them oh so superior to each other," just a thread for discussing the question.

In closing, thank you all, you'll all be helping in designing an amazing world I may all share with you someday.

-Limbo

P.S. Ozzie's in a pickle.
Back to top Go down
LatteCurlz
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer

Female Number of posts : 137
Roleplay Name : Nastasha Varient

PostSubject: Re: Things that Make Your Console RPG Amazing   Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:36 am

Hmm...I can give you a few of the things I like if that's all right. (If it isn't I'm sorry because I'm posting it anyway XD).

-I like interaction between the characters (whether it be friendship, rivalry, or love interests. Any interaction is cool).

-The music is something I must adore, it needs to be something that I will tear through the internet just to find an MP3 download for it.

-The battle system has to have as much user manipulation as it can. (Like in White Knight Chronicles where you could actually combine moves to make your own combo and name it).

- An interactive field where you can explore, go back to old towns you've been to, maybe even a few puzzles on how to get to different areas to advance story. Something like that.

That's all I have for right now. Character development is a no-brainer so I hope that goes well too. Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.fanfiction.net/~lattecurlz
Limbo
Fledging Farmer
Fledging Farmer

Male Number of posts : 121
Roleplay Name : Limbo

PostSubject: Re: Things that Make Your Console RPG Amazing   Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:09 pm

LatteCurlz wrote:
Hmm...I can give you a few of the things I like if that's all right. (If it isn't I'm sorry because I'm posting it anyway XD).

-I like interaction between the characters (whether it be friendship, rivalry, or love interests. Any interaction is cool).

-The music is something I must adore, it needs to be something that I will tear through the internet just to find an MP3 download for it.

-The battle system has to have as much user manipulation as it can. (Like in White Knight Chronicles where you could actually combine moves to make your own combo and name it).

- An interactive field where you can explore, go back to old towns you've been to, maybe even a few puzzles on how to get to different areas to advance story. Something like that.

That's all I have for right now. Character development is a no-brainer so I hope that goes well too. Hope it helps.

Character interaction is a guaranteed event, without it the world would be bland- and who wants to run around in a bland world?

The music will be easily adorable, since I am pulling together clips from an amazing variety of games, ranging from Chrono Trigger, to Final Fantasy, to Secret of Mana, to Dragon Quest, to Castlevania, and many more. It will be a treat to hear while rolling the dice.

The Battle System could be run multiple ways, but I'm thinking of doing it in a way similar to old school Super NES rpgs. You'll have you:

Attack: Stab it good George! Stab it!
Spell: I'm a firin' mah lazor!
Item: Here, catch this potion I'm throwing at you, let's hope it heals you.
Defend: I used to fight like you, until I took an arrow to the knee. It's why I defend now.
Formation: So I can move to the back row, take half damage from physical attacks, and cast spells at full power- count me in!

As for combos, I think setting up combos would be fun if you combined character attacks to form a combo. For instance, let's say you have a vicious bite attack and have a friend who can cast lightning, you'd combine your bite his lightning for an attack with shocking results! Pun intended.

The field will be all in your mind, with only minor references from maps I'll draw- it would all be in your head with what I describe. So it would be kind of like here on the forum, only with me, the Game Master, describing everything around you. Puzzles- there will always be a puzzle somewhere, it makes it more fun for me to have you look for a key that's hidden. Or maybe that treasure box over there explodes- yes, please open it.

But yes, characters will develop over time depending on the players and how they roleplay them- but they will get levels and grow more powerful as the game goes on. At some point, if the story goes on long enough- just like in a console game, you'll break the system. "Why yes, I can do one attack and destroy everything but you Mr. Final Boss, how does that feel?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things that Make Your Console RPG Amazing   

Back to top Go down

Things that Make Your Console RPG Amazing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1