AuthorMessage
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards :

PostSubject: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:34 pm

All right. So, I'm sure a lot of you Americans on this board are aware of the big lead paint scare last year, mostly with toys that came from China. It was really a big deal--no one wants to put their kid in danger by handing them a Barney toy. I get that. It's good to take precautions about that stuff, even though the initial scare is over.

What's bad about that is, Congress passed a bill called the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, or CPSIA. Basically, every single product that's manufactured and sold has to be tested. Every. Single. Item. We're not just talking toys here. We're talking about fabric, shoes, diapers, hairbands. Videogames, audio books. Coloring books, board games, baseball cards. Sporting equipment like bikes, backpacks, camping stuff.

And testing is NOT CHEAP! For a single component, it could be about, say, $150. For every extra detail--maybe a second color of thread, a button or a zipper, a ribbon or stitching, because each color would have to be tested-- that would be an additional fee.

It could EASILY add up to more than $1000 just to TEST a product. And that's for just one style or size of, say, a tee shirt!

The thing is, thrift stores aren't exempt from this. They don't have to test every product they get, but they are liable (responsible) if a product doesn't meet standards. So if they have a product in stock that was made before the regulation, they're responsible for that. Thrift store owners have no way to guess whether every grommet or zipper on a kids' jacket or ink on an old jigsaw puzzle box or some plastic component of Mom's old roller skates would pass as okay.

I know some people who don't have a choice but to buy used clothes, because their families are going through a rough finacial time. Because of this CPSIA thing, those families may have to pay $30 for a new, pre-approved jacket, because the one they could've gotten for $5 at the local thrift store was taken off the shelves.

What's even worse about this:

Children's books in libraries. Some of your favorite books might be taken off of the shelves, because they don't meet standards. The library would have to pay really high additional fees to add new books to their collections. What's likely to happen? Children's sections might get removed entirely.

Now, you know how some people make a living, simply by selling things that they make by hand? Hand-made instruments, jewelry, heirlooms? Maybe cultural Native American stuff, like mocassins and buckskins, which they have to--you guessed it--make by hand. That's not going to happen anymore. People can't just make stuff, and then sell it. And most small businesses can't afford to go through all the testing.

In addition, overseas companies who make products, like toys, clothes, and other crafts that don't live up to American standards are likely to just pull out of the market completely.

Our economy is going to be really hard-hit by this. It's not good news at all.

Instead of letting Americans take their own risks, the government is trying to eliminate it completely. They see it better to just get rid of everything that might--might!--be bad, instead of helping us manage the risk to make better decisions.

Special Member
Special Member

Female Number of posts : 6693
Roleplay Name : Kazumi Martin

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:55 pm

that sux. and so does our econimy. really, that's awful. and i have my own little rant; on abostions. i thik they should be illige. and i have my reasons:

it's the girls own stupid fault for getting pregnent in the first place. if she didn't want to get preg, don't have sex. THAT SIMPLE and even if they do get preg, for goodness sakes don't KILL the child, once it's bor just give to a foster home where it might be treated right and loved. it amazes me how stupid people can be. how about we all move to aussie with red and live amung the roo's.
Back to top Go down
Eternal Silence
Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 6205
Roleplay Name : Arden Auiban
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:14 pm

I don't agree...at least, not completely. There's all kinds of different situations and problems within each family. I'm not saying I condone abortion, or that I'm against it. I'm just saying, personal beliefs are just that--personal. MY OWN BELIEF is that not only does abortion hurt, but the few people I've seen actually have one (some girls that went to my brother's high school, who I saw at football games and such) are really physcologically traumatized.

This is a "hot topic," which basically means that there's a lot of really strong feelings about it and fights could easily be started. I'm a little weary about opening this for debate, so let's just stick to the original topic, which is more boring and mundane. 8D

Admin
Admin

Female Number of posts : 8780
Roleplay Name : Kitty Kitz
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 pm

Yeah it's a hot topic. I'm gonna stay away, cause I'm a strong republican and, yeah I get out of control when I debate laws and such.

Kazumi couldn't help but feel a bit nervous around Cody. He was unlike anyone she had ever seen before. His voice was smooth, his skin fair and his hair the perfect shade of brown. But his eyes had to be the most wonderful thing about his looks. Yes, he was like a giant Ken doll.

I love you Kazu. ♥♥♥♥
Back to top Go down
afsangel
Special Member
Special Member

Female Number of posts : 6693
Roleplay Name : Kazumi Martin

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:42 pm

i'm not a part of any political party. i just go with my beilefs. lets call that the 'alison' party XD
Back to top Go down
clairexcliff
Hero
Hero

Male Number of posts : 4687
Roleplay Name : Amando
2nd char:Roan

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:35 am

well,i am not an american so i don't know it..
Back to top Go down
Natt77
Sprite
Sprite

Female Number of posts : 1635
Roleplay Name : Natt

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:01 pm

it must be bad...I am in the UK though so I'm fine. *weak smile*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CPSIA--[A bit of a rant.]   

Back to top Go down